ADMISSION CRITERIA, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Elsen Academy accommodates learners with special educational needs within our resources.
CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION
Our admissions criteria are broad and rely heavily on observation, intuition and appropriate judgement of staff and therapists.
a. Must be functionally unable to cope with the academic, social, emotional and behavioural demands of a large, traditional school environment.
b. Has been identified as needing support in the mild to moderate range by a professional assessment team or psychologist.
c. Needs to be mobile (due to the nature of our school building having stairs) and be toilet trained.
d. Will benefit from what is offered at Elsen.
e. Must have parental support at all times.
Learners who have a clinically diagnosed behaviour disorder – deviant behaviour that endangers self and/or others - WILL NOT be considered for admission.
Non-disclosure of information could lead to the penalisation of the learner at a later stage.
- The age requirement for admission is in accordance with Departmental regulations.
- Our School’s Mission Statement and Education Policies must be adhered to by all learners and parents.
- A Parent/School Contract to be signed as condition of entry.
- As part of the assessment process for admission, Elsen may require a multi-disciplinary assessment that can include one or more of the following: Psycho-cognitive, Occupational, Speech & Language and Remedial. These assessments can be done through Elsen at a discounted rate.
- If a full assessment has been carried out privately within the last 12 months, all reports need to be submitted.
- School fee payments are to be made by monthly debit order (for 12 months), or annually. Interest will be charged on overdue accounts at the maximum rate of interest for incidental credit.
- If your child is to have extra therapies (i.e. Remedial, Occupational, Speech, Play or Counselling) it will be determined by the teachers, once they have had a chance to see your child in a working environment. These therapies are at an extra cost per session, except for Play & Counselling, which are included in the fees. Therapy invoices are sent at the end of each month and are to be paid by the 7th of the following month. Interest will be charged on overdue accounts. All therapies, except for Remedial, may be claimed from your medical aid. Failure to pay fees could result in the cancellation of therapy. Full assessments will be charged at medical aid rates.
- All admissions to Elsen will be subject to a 3 month probation period. Learners will be required to fulfil all the acceptance requirements, wear the full school uniform and must be in possession of all the required books and stationery requested. Should the school or parent need to terminate the contract during this period, one terms notice will not be required. The enrolment fee is nonrefundable.
- Parents are obliged to give one terms notice in writing, if a learner intends leaving the school for whatever reason.
- Elsen Academy follows a Christian Ethos.
Step One: (Upon enquiry you will receive the following documentation)
• Application form
• Parent questionnaire
• Fee schedule
• Mission statement
• Admission policy
Please complete the forms FULLY and return to us with the following supporting documents.
• 1 x passport size photograph (attach to application form)
• Certified copy of the applicants birth certificate / ID document
• Copy of clinic card
• Copy of most recent school reports
• Most recent professional assessment reports
• Certified copies of both parent’s ID documents
• Certified copy of account payers ID document (if not a parent)
• Certified proof of address of account payer (recent utility bill – not more than 3 months old)
Step Two: Interview with parents, learner, principal, SENCO and school psychologist which will only be scheduled once all information has been received and filled in correctly.
Step Three: A minimum five day observation period to determine whether Elsen can provide the necessary support. The decision to accept a learner will only be taken AFTER observation.
Step Four: After the observation period the multi-disciplinary team and principal will meet to discuss the outcome. A follow up meeting with parents will be arranged at this stage.
Step Five: Parents will be informed by the school regarding the status of their application. If accepted, this will be subject to a 3 month probation period as per our admissions policy. You will receive all the necessary documentation, including our Parent/School Contract and a request for a non-refundable enrolment fee. This will secure your child’s place at Elsen Academy.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT ALL FORMS ARE COMPLETED IN FULL AND THAT THE SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE SUPPLIED AS REQUESTED. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN DELAYS IN THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE.