Ten things to take note of:
1) ADHD is the most common psychiatric disorder in children.
2) It is a genetic condition.
3) It is frequently comorbid with at least one other condition, i.e. conduct disorder, depression.
4) Many ADHD teens also have learning problems.
5) Have realistic expectations for your teen.
6) Share knowledge about ADHD.
7) Distinguish between normal "rebellious" behaviour and true ADHD symptoms.
8) Consider treatment options, i.e. medication, counselling.
9) Untreated ADHD leads to impairments in major life activities.
10) Encourage positive friendships as adolescents are often more influenced by peers than by family.
(Summary of article by Dr. Dora Wynchank Aug, 2013)